Himalayan Hermitage Radhi Rugs, Aunsi
Aunsi is Nepali for 'Queen of the Night'.
This elegant and understated area rug combines modern Scandinavian design with an ancient textile, the traditional Nepali radhi rug. These rugs are made entirely by hand, woven on looms with hand-spun wool, and have a wonderfully soft feel.
The skill involved in weaving a radhi was such an important trait, that while looking for a possible bride for their sons, the villagers would make sure that the future daughter-in-law would know the art of weaving these woolen rugs!
Made in Nepal
100% sustainably and ethically harvested wool (Bhyanglung Sheep)
Machine washable - wash in cold water only
Please note: because this rug is entirely made by hand, there may be small variations in color and size.
- 6 months: Growing the wool
- 2 hours: Harvesting the wool
- 3 days: Washing and drying the wool
- 1 day: Preparing for spinning & combing the wool
- 2 days (16h): Spinning the wool by hand
- 1 hour: Setting up the loom
- 2 days (16h): Weaving the rug
- 2-3 Days: Washing the completed rug and sun-drying
- Total: Approx. 6.5 months (39 hours of work by hand)